SMM Group Code of Conduct
All officers (including executive officers) and staff (including fixed-term and temporary employees) shall, in accordance with the corporate philosophy of the SMM Group, comply with the following Code of Conduct. Officers in particular shall, in reflection of their position and responsibilities, exercise strict self-discipline, set an example in carrying out the Code, and educate employees to honor and strictly obey the Code in full.
Code of Conduct for All 0fficers and Staff
1. Compliance: Abidance by Laws and Rules
- We will comply with foreign and domestic laws and rules, and conform to social norms.
- We will never under any circumstances commit an infraction of the law or act counter to social norms, even if doing so would seem to be in the company’s interests.
2. Respect for Individuals
- We will accept diversity and respect the individuality and rights of people.
- We will never violate human rights, engage in discriminatory conduct, or contribute to such conduct.
3. Assurance of Health and Safety
- We will give highest priority to ensuring the physical health and safety of all persons affected by our operations.
4. Development of Human Resources
- We will strive not only for personal self-improvement, but also to nurture successors through systematic training and by providing various opportunities in the course of work.
5. Risk Management
- We will strive to identify risks, prevent their occurrence, and if risks occur, minimize the effects.
6. Adherence to a Progressive Stance
- We will approach our jobs with a positive and progressive attitude suitable to the creation of technologies and systems in the vanguard of changing times.
7. Respect for Teamwork, Promotion of Good Communication
- We will place high value on teamwork, in the form of cooperation both with other organizations and with fellow workers.
- We will strive to create a cheerful and broad-minded corporate atmosphere conducive to the smooth transfer of required information and the timely performance of reporting, liaison and consultation.
8. In Harmony with Society and Local Communities
- As members of society, we will participate in social contribution activities in accordance with our personal beliefs.
- We will strive toward a harmonious and mutually beneficial relationship with local communities.
9. Separation of Corporate Business and Personal Affairs
- We will at all times conduct ourselves based on sound judgment, and make a clear distinction between corporate business and our personal affairs.
10. Collection, Management and Usage of Information
- We will collect information swiftly, properly and lawfully, manage it appropriately, and use it effectively.
- We will utilize information acquired in conjunction with corporate business expressly for that purpose only, and will not leak such information to any third party.
11. Handling of Intellectual Property
- We will nurture and maintain conscious recognition of the importance of intellectual property as a vital asset of the Group, and strive toward the creation of such property.
- We will strive to properly protect and effectively use all corporate intellectual properties; we will also respect intellectual properties of other parties.
12. Assurance of Quality
- We will continuously improve quality management systems and provide Products & Services that satisfy customers.
- We will enhance technologies and seek to engage in manufacturing that takes into account customers’ safety and their environment.
13. Stance toward Performance of Sales and Purchasing
- We will comply with competition laws and conduct sales and purchasing activities based on fair competition.
14. Stance toward Entertainment and Gifts
- We will entertain and present gifts to others, and accept entertainment and gifts, within the proper limits of both the law and social acceptability.
- We will comply with laws against bribery and will maintain healthy and proper relationships with government and political organizations.
15. Severance of Relationships with Socially Disruptive Forces
- We will staunchly eliminate socially disruptive forces and have no relations whatsoever with them.
16. Concern for the Global Environment
- Taking into consideration climate change and biodiversity, we will act in a manner enabling us to contribute to the resolution and/or improvement of resource, energy and environmental problems of global scale.
17. Attitude in the Performance of Global Business Activities
- We will strive to interact with people in the countries or regions where we undertake business and engage in conduct that respects local culture and practices as well as globally accepted norms and their spirit.