from the President
The SMM Group aims to utilize a business model that integrates
its Mineral Resources, Smelting & Refining, and Materials businesses to
“Become a World Leader in the Non-Ferrous Metals Industry.”
Non-ferrous metals provided by the SMM Group, such as copper and nickel, are used in a variety of fields that make modern society possible, including infrastructure, industrial machinery, construction materials, and automobiles. These materials continue to be essential to our lives. In addition, the battery and advanced materials at the core of electrified motors, advanced communications, and digitization are also used in a wide range of fields with a close connection to people. The SMM Group inherited the original businesses of Sumitomo, principally the copper smelting and refining business that started in 1590, and the mineral resources business that began with the opening of the Besshi Copper Mine in 1691, and throughout its history has responded to the continually changing needs of society, supporting the development of industry.
Amid the current rapid pace of technological innovation, the demands of society are becoming more diverse and sophisticated, including a rising awareness of the need for a sustainable society, respect for human rights, and a focus on ensuring health and safety. The SMM Group is not only adapting to this rapid and varied social change, but through backcasting of society 10 to 15 years in the future, looks at these changes as business opportunities, and creates new value.
This is made possible by the “Seven Competitive Capabilities.”
- Technology that has been continually honed over 430 years and is focused on the next generation
- Employees who share our business spirit and an open and vibrant organizational climate
- Relationships of trust with business partners that have been formed with a long-term perspective
- Involvement with local communities that has been built up through our core business.
- A firm resolve in regard to safety and a management framework that heightens hazard awareness
- A close affinity with our customers’ needs and the collaborative capabilities to continuously respond to them
- Financial standing that enables us to take advantage of investment opportunities
The Seven Competitive Capabilities are management capital for the SMM Group. Backed by this competitiveness, the SMM Group is establishing a business model unique in the world that integrates its Mineral Resources, Smelting & Refining, and Materials businesses, and allows us to provide a comprehensive service within the company, from securing resources to providing highly functional materials.
Furthermore, considering the external business environment, including politics, government policies, exchange rate fluctuations and metal prices, to realize value creation together with stakeholders from a medium- to long-term perspective, the SMM Group has adopted as its long-term vision “Become a World Leader in the Non-Ferrous Metals Industry.” The SMM Group considers the following five points necessary to be a world leader.
- Have a global presence in terms of mineral resource interests and metal production volumes (be in the global top five).
- Have leading technology and a unique business model that cannot be easily emulated by other major mineral resource companies.
- Be growing sustainably and stably producing a certain amount of profit.
- Be actively tackling social issues such as the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Have employees working with spirit.
Moreover, we believe that to be a leader means more than just business scale and profitability. We want to be a company able to contribute through our main business to meeting the demands of society based on environmental change. In accordance with the Sumitomo Business Spirit, deeply rooted in the management of the SMM Group, top management will take the lead to ensure a safe work environment, and through measures for corporate social responsibility (CSR) and SDGs, aim to be a company worthy of being called a leader.
To realize our long-term vision, the SMM Group is steadily pursuing the targets and issues outlined in the 2018 3-Year Business Plan. By working together with our employees to achieve sustainable growth, the SMM Group will try our best to meet the expectations of stakeholders.
Thank you for your continued understanding and support of the SMM Group.
November 12, 2019
President & Representative Director