Sumitomo Metal Mining's Long-Term Vision
World Leader in
the Non-Ferrous Metals Industry
The Sumitomo Metal Mining Group possesses leading technology and a unique business model that covers from the securing of resources to the provision of high-functionality materials in house that cannot be easily emulated, even by other major mineral resource companies. This is one of the Group’s competitive strengths and means we are able to effectively utilize resources and materials without limits. Our ambition is to raise our societal value through sustainable growth and become the world leader in the non-ferrous metals industry.
We aim to have a global presence in terms of mineral resource interests and metal production volumes (be in the global top five), to grow sustainably and stably produce a certain amount of profit, to actively tackle social issues such as the SDGs, and to have employees working with spirit. This is what we are aiming for, what our long-term vision of becoming the world leader in the non-ferrous metals industry looks lik
What does “world leader in the non-ferrous metals industry” mean?
Sumitomo Metal Mining defines the World Leader in the Non-Ferrous Metals Industry as follows.
- Have a global presence in terms of mineral resource interests and metal production volumes (be in the global top five)
- Have leading technology and a unique business model that cannot be easily emulated by other major mineral resource companies
- Be growing sustainably and stably producing a certain amount of profit
- Be actively tackling social issues such as the SDGs
- Have employees working with spirit
Annual production capacity
- A quantity that will position us as top class globally (about 5th)
- A responsible quantity for meeting growing demand, including for battery materials
Annual production interest
- A quantity that will position us as mid-level globally
- Achievement expected through participation in the Quebrada Blanca 2 Project R Continue to maintain
Increasing profitability and value of operational experience by participation in superior projects, rather than increasing the number of interests
Annual profit before tax through portfolio management
Creating a presence as a core business by selecting the best mix of businesses based on the life cycle of each product group
- A numerical target appropriate for a “world leader in the non-ferrous metals industry”
- A level that can be sustainably achieved through steady strategic investment and minimizing opportunity loss